instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

16/05/2014

Running High - Jane of Deluminators


For those who don't know you, could you give a short introduction of yourself and your blog?
Hi, I'm Jane from Deluminators! I'm a 21 year old uni student from Sydney, Australia, and I blog about fun things like food and clothes. I'm terrible at running but it's an easy and convenient way to exercise, and I feel really good afterwards.


When did you start running?
I started at the beginning of last year, because I wanted to gain the life skill of being able to run further than the end of the street. My aim was to be able to run for 30 minutes non-stop, and 6 months later (it took a while because I dislocated my knee) I finally got there.



How many times do you run per week and how many miles?
I try run at least 3 times a week - whenever I can. I run exactly 30 minutes each time, about 4.7km (still trying to get the 5k!).


How did you deal with your injury?
Almost 2 months in (this time last year), I dislocated my kneecap on a run when my foot landed awkwardly on uneven pavement. My left knee has always been weak - I'd injured it three times before this (netball, surfing, basketball - not that I'm even any good at these!). Luckily I didn't need surgery, just physiotherapy and exercises. I was on crutches for a month and it was another two before I felt confident enough to run again. I thought I would have to start over with my running, but I picked it back up quickly (possibly because I'd done it once before).


What did you find most difficult about it?
Firstly, the frustration of getting so far in my running and then being sidelined! I'm lucky that I still live at home, so my parents were able to help me get around and to uni - I'm not sure how I would have been able to go about life as normal if I was living alone. I also felt quite shaken afterwards, even when I got back on my feet, because I was afraid that it was going to happen again (I still step really carefully even when I'm just walking around). My doctor and physio both recommended that I strap my knee when I do exercise from now on (until forever basically), and I'm happy to follow orders because sometimes I still feel a bit of a twinge in there.


What achievement are you most proud of?
Finally being able to run for 30 minutes, non-stop! There's always one point during my run when I think about giving up, so when I get there I feel pretty proud of myself.


Have you ever done a race?
Not in my current period of running - my last race was probably in high school, when it was compulsory, and I probably walked half of it anyway.




What is your running gear or equipment?
- Nike Miler tank - I started running in a cotton t-shirt but a running top is so much more comfortable, especially if you get sweaty.
- A good sports bra!
- Regular gym shorts, but I'm thinking of investing in a proper pair.
- Patella strap for my kneecap so it doesn't try and run away again
- Nike Elite running cushion socks - I used to just wear normal socks but my feet were blistering like crazy. These help a lot because they don't hold moisture like cotton socks.
- Nike Free 5.0 v4 sneakers.
- And my iPhone for music and Nike+!


What's your favourite route to run?
I just run around some blocks in my neighbourhood (downhill for most of the way, to be honest).


Do you have a special type of method or training?
When I first started off, I used a "Couch to 5K" app. It's for complete beginners, to take you through to 5km (or 30 minutes) in 8 weeks. You run three times a week and it starts with interval training - e.g. "run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds", until you can run for the full 30 minutes. This worked SO well for me, because I'm the type of person who needs goals, and it showed me hard evidence that I was getting better. Now that I've hit 30 minutes of running, I log my runs with the Nike+ app so I can see how much I've run and whether I'm improving.


When you’re not running, how do you stay active?
I try go for a swim once a week - swimming was always more my thing. I'd love to swim more often but it's harder to schedule a visit to the pool - running definitely has one up on swimming on this point. Swimming was also an entry point back into exercise after my knee injury, because it's less impact and way more gentle on the joints. I've also recently acquired a bicycle - triathlete in the making?


Is there any distance you would like to run this year/are you training for an event?
I just want to consolidate my 30 minute runs and get 5km in that time. I've sort of hit a wall with that, but I'm slowly chipping away at it. I might think about doing an event when I get there.


What's your powersong?
I Love It by Icona Pop.


Any tips for starters?
Get the C25K app (the Zenlabs one is free). Also any kind of app that lets you track your runs and add notes to them, so you can see if there are any factors affecting your runs - e.g. I've realised running is much harder for me when it's hot out, or if I haven't had enough sleep or food.


Would you like to be interviewed next? You can sign up here!
You can find all the Running High's here.

11 comments:

  1. Great to see Jane here! and kudos to you for reaching a milestone in running for 30 minutes straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! I'm still patting myself on the back for it, half a year down the track haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 minutes is pretty amazing going Jane, it's a heck of a lot longer than I can do. Hopefully you can achieve you 5k target very soon.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey really lovely post and blog!!!

    I'm doing a give away If you would like to enter please visit my blog the link is below!!

    spread the word about the give away THANKS!!

    CHANEL:)

    http://chanelly-chanelly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/malibu-rum-x-sera-ulger-london-limited.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to start running and thank you for writing this post, I learnt quite a lot. Well done on your running :)

    http://kaleidoscopexhearts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mat! I've been hitting 5k sporadically in the past two weeks but hopefully I can get consistent soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The song's been on my running playlist since I began, it doesn't get old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're just starting out, definitely give the C25K app a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you achieve your 5K in 30 goal! I'm also trying to run a 5K before the end of July; we'll see how that goes. Happy running, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't forget you can sign up for the running highs too! You can sign up here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the 5K too!

    ReplyDelete